When we started this adoption we began by picking an agency first. Our initial plan was to be Log In Date first (which means we would compile our dossier, send it to China, and then wait for our agency to match us with a child) so we researched lots of agencies and based on the feedback of several on-line friends chose one we were comfortable with and who had lots of partnerships with orphanages in China. While working on our dossier, I would occasionally (ok obsessively!) check our agency's waiting child list to see if there were any children who matched our special needs checklist. One day an adorable little one popped up on their listing and I immediately e-mailed them to have them put a hold on the file. The agency sent the file our way and over the next 2 weeks we talked with doctors and specialists, and international adoption clinics. We reached the point where we were pretty sure we were going to move forward, we were waiting on the international adoption clinic to get back to us on a couple of questions. Over the course of the 2 weeks there were many ups and downs. The initial Dr. who reviewed the file was very doom and gloom, but then the IAC was more positive but when we went back to them with additional questions and they dug deeper into some of the numbers and stats in the file their opinion started to change. Even though I was praying for the answer to be yes, so many nos kept coming our way. This couldn't be right, we felt like this was our daughter but at every single turn we were faced with another whisper that was no. In the last days we had her file I prayed one more time, opened up Facebook and the first thing I saw was this blog post. Another no and this one wasn't a whisper.
During the 2 weeks we were reviewing the file, I would look at the pictures in the file and wonder what her name would be if we did move forward. There was one name I kept coming back to, Finley. Chen Chen's American name is Frances and I liked the idea of both girls having 2 syllable names that both started with "F". I decided to look up the meaning of the name to see if our yes was there. I typed the name into my phone and this is what came up "Finley: fair haired hero/warrior". Why that certainly didn't match the beautiful, dark haired girl I was looking at! A few days after opening up Facebook and reading that blog post, I opened up my email and saw a response from the IAC, it was not the news we were hoping for and after one last very hard discussion we decided we had to let the file go. That was on February 3rd.
Let's hop back in time to January 1st. Because I am not one to sit and wait for things to happen, I was looking at other agencies' waiting child lists to see if maybe our boy or girl was out there. There was a profile for a little one that caught our eye and I sent the agency an email. They quickly responded that the child had already been matched with a family and I thanked them for their time. Didn't think any more of it and didn't ask to be put on a mailing list. On February 4th, a day after saying no to the other file, we received an email from the second agency. The family that had been matched with the child we had inquired about had decided not to move forward and they wondered if we would like to review the file. We immediately said yes and a few minutes later this face popped up on my phone...
There she was...our fair haired hero! We had found our Finley About 30 minutes after that initial email we started the process to switch agencies to bring her home. We also found out a few days later that the little girl who's file we had been reviewing was matched with a family that is just perfect for her and they should be traveling to bring her home soon as well! I love that her name was spoken to us before we even saw her face, there was no question when we opened her file that she was our daughter and we cannot wait to meet our fair haired hero soon!